Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Back to school breakfast

My kids go back to school next week and I am not ready. We have all the supplies neatly tucked in the backpacks, all the forms have been filled out, money paid, classroom assignments arranged, gym clothes purchased,but I am not ready. I enjoy summer with the kids so much it is one of the reasons I really don't want to get a job outside the home. One of the only and major drawbacks for me getting a job would be the loss of freedom to hang out with my terrific kids for the short amount of time I get to have them at home. I know I could get a job at the school part-time to keep with their school schedule, but I would still have the hassle of vacation time, volunteering in the classroom, field trips, and in short, I just don't want to.



One of our struggles about going back to school is breakfast. It is my favorite meal of the day. I love all foods breakfast. In the summer we enjoy hearty breakfasts every day. If I ever skip a meal, and it is not often (I don't get it when people say they forgot to have lunch! I never forget a meal) it is not breakfast if I can help it. I like breakfast so much that during the school year I still get up early enough to cook a hot meal every morning. Sometimes I take Fridays off and we don't have time Sunday morning before church, so those are cold breakfast days, but other than that...



This is one of my recipes that we use about once a week or more during the school year and summer as well. I double it and either keep the extra batter in fridge, (it will keep for a week and a half or so) or I put it into muffin cups and freeze it. Then just pop them out of the freezer into muffin pan (no thawing required) and bake for about 25 minutes instead of the 18-20 minutes. It is a great healthy breakfast with a couple of slices of turkey bacon for some protein to start the day. Hope you enjoy! I like to use my stoneware muffin pan from my Pampered Chef consultant days. That way when you finish your yummy muffin and come back for more the stoneware keeps it warm.



Classic Bran Muffins



1 1/2 cups wheat bran

1 cup buttermilk

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1 egg

2/3 cup brown sugar, packed

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup raisins (optional) - I don't add these, I like them, but I am the only one in the family who does.



Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners. - I use silicone cups. Love them. Easy to wash out. A tiny spritz of Pam and all you will have to do is turn them over and lightly squeeze, the muffin will fall right out. Easy clean-up.



Mix together wheat bran and buttermilk; let stand for 10 minutes. - I don't wait ten minutes, Just however long it takes to get the other ingredients together.



Beat together oil, egg, sugar and vanilla and add to buttermilk/bran mixture. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir flour mixture into buttermilk mixture, until just blended. Fold in raisins and spoon batter into prepared muffin tins.



Bake for 15 to 20 mintues or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool and enjoy! - I eat mine warm, split in half with a little pat of butter or jam. They are great with fruit butters in the fall!

4 comments:

Pancake said...

HEY I am so glad you posted this! I have been waiting for some good things from you Sheri!

When are you getting out to Cali next?

cookingsherri said...

Actually, we are hoping to make it to Utah in the spring. We weren't able to make our usual summer trip and I am feeling very homesick for family.

kitchenditcher said...

What a great idea! I didn't know you could freeze batter! I am definitely going to try these.

Sure appreciate you. Whenever I need a good sounding board, I know that I can call my sis!!

Brittany said...

Yea, Utah! We will be here in the spring! I love bran muffins and I love you. Right now I am a SAHW stay at home wife. So I will have to take some of your tips of what you do. Love you.