Monday, August 11, 2008

She's 9!

I threw a small birthday party for my daughter. I offered to let her invite more friends, but she only invited 5 people and 3 of them were able to come. Here is what we did:


We started with a craft I found from Family Fun magazine several years ago. The girls had a little bit of a hard time with it, but they turned out great.






You get 20 guage wire and cut 2 1/2 feet. Make a loop at the top for hanging. Then thread beads on about 1" apart making a "z" shaped bend in the wire (bend in one direction at the top of the bead and the other direction at the bottom of the bead) to hold the bead in place. At the last bead wrap the wire around the bead two times to secure the end. Then wrap the wire about a thin spice bottle from your pantry. When you slide it of your spice bottle you will have a corkscrew shape suncatcher like this:

Then, we played games. I found this great game when surfing the internet for great outdoors games for the kids for summer. It is called Bucket Blast. The genius is in it's simplicity. They give instructions for 15 games to be played with buckets, beanbags, cones, and blindfolds, all of which are provided with a nifty little mesh bag to keep it all in. The games are great. At first I thought only my 9 year old would love it, but now see that my soon to be 13 yo would have fun with this with his friends. Perfect for family get togethers. Here is the link to their website:


http://www.lolofun.com/products/games/Bucketblast/bblast.htm


Read the reviews on Amazon too.

I even baked and decorated the cake myself. I love Baker's Joy spray! Look for it in the grocery store near the Pam products. It is oil mixed with flour that you spray right into the pan! You don't have to grease and flour anymore. It is so easy and cakes come out of the pan easily every time. I took the picture from the top so you can't see how lopsided it is. After I did my goofy job of decorating I remembered I have the Pampered Chef cake decorating stencils, which would have been easier, but, oh well. On the inside it is pink and blue swirl party cake. The box said best if used by '06, but it was just fine in '08!


All in all, it was a simple success.

3 comments:

kitchenditcher said...

Wow! I can't believe she's nine! Did you say NINE??? Geezo Peezo that doesn't seem possible. I loved seeing the picture of her. I'll bet the girls LOVED their suncatcher. You are an awesome mom!!

Pancake said...

9 WOW! She has such cute hair!!! Thanks for the link, I am going to put that in my grandma file!

Carole said...

I'm still telling you Merrily....your Dad is a meanie!!! I bought Elisabeth a pony but you need to come visit us in Minnesota to see it.

Sherri: Yippee!! I'm so glad you started your own. I have many friends and family who have one and it is a great way to keep in touch. Can't wait to keep reading!